No current openings.
Velocity for Eighth Grade Honors
Velocity for Eighth Graders
Velocity is for students who want to repeat eighth grade for a more in
depth preparation before they enter high school. The year will seek to
build leadership skills, provide academic reinforcement and deepen understanding
of 8th grade standards, and develop skills in reading, writing, public
speaking, collaborative learning, and many others. In addition, students
will be encouraged to pursue a passion, and the opportunity to grow spiritually
and personally. Based on the VCS campus, course offerings include:
- Leadership- Bible Elective
- Algebra or Geometry
- Integrated 8th Grade English and Social Studies- an inter-disciplinary
in depth look at historical movements and
corresponding literature. Emphasis on reading, writing, public speaking,
and project based learning.
- Velocity 8th grade Science- outdoor education activities, physics and modern
warfare, labs and trips.
- Velocity PE focused on speed, strength, and nutrition
- Fine Arts Academy offerings
- Individualized college prep counseling
The Director of Velocity
The Director will have the opportunity to help craft the program and direct
it. The Director will be an administrator, teacher, coach, leader, and
counselor to a small cohort based model of students. The Director will
prepare these students to thrive in high school and in life. The Director
most successfully accomplishes the functions of the position by wisely
including many other people to assist in this mission.
- Create the goals, desired outcomes, and major experiences of the program.
- Administer the program including scheduling, discipline, hiring part time
staff and outside vendors.
- Work with the Head of School, Principal, Athletic Director and Director
of Fine Arts to bring resources to the program.
- Coordinate mentors and coaches to work with students on their passions
- Help parents understand their student’s individualized learning program
- English/History integrated curriculum, Bible curriculum, some science curriculum
- Use the latest research to develop a comprehensive leadership curriculum
for students. Incorporate curriculum such as Habitudes and YELL. Teach
the leadership program.
- Develop and teach a project based learning curriculum
- Organize Outdoor learning education and activities for students
- Actively seeks opportunities to assist students grow spiritually through
counseling, praying, talking, preaching, teaching and generally expressing
genuine interest in the life of each student.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelors Degree from an accredited institution with a Master’s
- Teaching experience
- Coaching, and/or youth ministry experience preferred.
- Must demonstrate a passion for developing the spiritual lives of young
people through the daily application God’s grace.
- Athletic experience as a player or coach preferred.
- Arts experience as a practitioner or teacher preferred.
- Such alternatives to the above as approved by the Head of School and the
Board of Directors.