Our History

Founded in 1949, Village Christian School has been a vanguard of quality, Christian education in the Greater Los Angeles area for more than 64 years. From its humble beginnings in a small church building with only 40 elementary students, VCS has grown into the one of the largest K-12 private schools in the nation with 1,100 students on a 110-acre campus, 30 of which are developed.

VCS started in the heart of Pastor Phil Gibson, whose dream was for children of his community to receive an exceptional Christian education. His original vision was to serve as an outreach to the community by providing quality private education at an affordable price. As the intentional result of this vision, Village admits students and families with varying faiths and backgrounds. We welcome this diversity as it helps our students gain a greater understanding of all people and prepares them to share their faith in the world beyond our campus.

The school started in the buildings of Village Church in Burbank and quickly expanded and filled the church campus. Within a few years, it became clear that new facilities were needed to house the growing student body. In 1957, the Board of Directors authorized the purchase of the current property on Penrose and Village Avenue. Over the next decades, Phil Gibson’s dream blossomed fully: Families and students gave of their time and effort to pour concrete, construct buildings, attend Loyalty Dinners, held bake sales and formed a Parent Teacher Fellowship. The chapel, with its identifying steeple, was built. The elementary buildings went up, A, B and C wings of high school were built. A cafeteria, auditorium and new gymnasium were constructed.

Since that initial ground-breaking, Village Christian has continued to grow and at one time was the largest Christian School on one campus west of the Mississippi river. The past decade has seen the school adjust to the changing socio-economic climate of Los Angeles and has become one of the most diverse and innovative Christian schools in the country. Pastor Gibson's intial vision still guides the school as it continues to add buildings and programs to support the mission to provide a CAREing, Christ-centered education producing students who thrive.