Frequently Asked Questions
Who qualifies for Beacon?
- Elementary students qualify with a teacher recommendation. Secondary students qualify with parent and/or teacher recommendation.
Why does Beacon require teacher recommendation for grades 3-5?
- Elementary students are still developing and each child develops skills at a different rate. Teachers need time to implement all interventions before a student will be recommended for the Beacon program.
Can my Beacon student bring their sibling to Homework Club?
- No. The only students allowed to be in the Beacon room are Beacon students.
My child has an IEP. Will Beacon ensure that all IEP goals are met?
- As a private school, we try to meet as many of the IEP goals as we are able. Though we are not staffed to address all of them, we will use the information provided by the IEP to assist our teachers in understanding your child’s unique learning needs.
Will the Beacon teacher collaborate with my child’s teachers?
- Yes. The Beacon teachers have access to RenWeb. They will collaborate closely with teachers to foster student growth and success.
What communication can I expect from the Beacon teachers?
- The Beacon teachers will communicate weekly with parents using an app called Seesaw. This app is a running log of your child’s activities in Beacon.
What happens if my child is absent on their Beacon day?
- Depending on teacher availability, rescheduling will occur when time permits.
Will my child receive help during homework club?
- Though homework club is not a tutoring center, it is a quiet place for students to complete their homework with a supervising teacher available to answer questions.