Here at Village Christian, we have an extensive visual arts program. High school students who wish to pursue a career in art can graduate with a Concentration in Visual Arts. With basic art instruction beginning in elementary school, semester-length elective art classes become available in middle school including art, ceramics, yearbook, and the sixth-grade “Wheel” (a class including multiple electives including video production and art).
- In high school art, classes begin with a year-long foundation overview class called Visual Art.
- Upon completion, students may pursue 2D, 3D, media art classes or a combination of any of these.
- Second-level classes include Art Studio 2D, Art Studio 3D, Yearbook, Graphic Design and Video Production and Advanced Video production.
- Students who complete AP 2D are eligible to continue on to AP 2D art and students completing Art Studio 3D are eligible to take AP 3D Art.
VCS has its own art gallery available for students for shows and art events. AP students have an annual show and now students in the Visual Arts students Concentration can participate in the big show during our open house symposium.
Our 3D facilities include:
- Art lab equipped with kiln, potters wheels, a pug mill, extruder and sculpting tools.
Our 2D facilities include:
- Tilting painting tables and easels, a Mac lab, a PC lab with graphic design, yearbook and video editing capabilities including Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.
Led by Grammy-nominated and award-winning director Chris Hicky, our VCS Film School is a state-of-the-art learning environment for students eager to share their "story." Built around a 4K camera and post-production workflow, our students learn filmmaking from the ground up. We have an array of DSLR based cameras, cine lenses, gimbals, LED light panels, and other production and audio gear, as well as a full suite of Adobe Premier editing machines (Mac-based). A green screen studio space rounds out our classroom environment. Classroom visits from local industry execs and craftspeople supplement a criteria aimed at blending creativity with real world experience. Our theme is STORY, and our goal is to get students filming and editing from day one!
Our graduates go on to attend top art and design schools including:
- Cal Arts
- Pasadena Art Center
- Chicago Art institute
- Savannah College of Art and Design
Our students regularly score high on AP art portfolios and have earned gold and silver medals at the national level of the Scholastic Art Contest; our Yearbook teams have received numerous awards, and our students’ films have been accepted into the Burbank Film Festival and received the highest rating at the Tower of Youth awards.
Village Christian is a thriving place for students interested in the arts.
Visual Arts Faculty
Mr. Chris Hicky - Video Production
Mrs. Kelly Konjoyan - Elementary Art
Mr. Gared Luquet - 2D Art
Ms. Julianna Rondinella - 3D Art
Mr. Harry Tom - Graphic Arts/MS and HS Yearbook
Recent Yearbook Awards
First Place: NSPA
First Place: ASPA, NSPA
Gold Rating: CSPA
First Place: ASPA
Second Place: NSPA
Silver Rating: CSPA
First Place ASPA, NSPA
Silver Rating: CSPA