Here at Village Christian, we have an extensive visual arts program. High school students who wish to pursue a career in art can graduate with a Concentration in Visual Arts. With basic art instruction beginning in elementary school, semester-length elective art classes become available in middle school including art, ceramics, yearbook, and the sixth-grade “Wheel” (a class including multiple electives including video production and art).
- In high school art, classes begin with a year-long foundation overview class called Visual Art.
- Upon completion, students may pursue 2D, 3D, media art classes or a combination of any of these.
- Second-level classes include Art Studio 2D, Art Studio 3D, Yearbook, Graphic Design and Video Production and Advanced Video production.
- Students who complete AP 2D are eligible to continue on to AP 2D art and students completing Art Studio 3D are eligible to take AP 3D Art.
VCS has its own art gallery available for students for shows and art events. AP students have an annual show and now students in the Visual Arts students Concentration can participate in the big show during our open house symposium.
Our 3D facilities include:
- Art lab equipped with kiln, potters wheels, a pug mill, extruder and sculpting tools.
Our 2D facilities include:
- Tilting painting tables and easels, a Mac lab, a PC lab with graphic design, yearbook and video editing capabilities including Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.
Our graduates go on to attend top art and design schools including:
- Cal Arts
- Pasadena Art Center
- Chicago Art institute
- Savannah College of Art and Design
Our students regularly score high on AP art portfolios and have earned gold and silver medals at the national level of the Scholastic Art Contest; our Yearbook teams have received numerous awards, and our students’ films have been accepted into the Burbank Film Festival and received the highest rating at the Tower of Youth awards.
Village Christian is a thriving place for students interested in the arts.
Visual Arts Faculty
Mr. Ryan Metzler - Video Production
Mrs. Kelly Konjoyan - Elementary Art
Mr. Gared Luquet - 2D Art
Mrs. Leia Reed - 3D Art
Ceramics is offered for Middle School and High School.
Middle School (two opportunities to take the class)
- Wheel: 6th grade. Intro to all levels of ceramics
- Ceramics: 7th and 8th Students learn the art of hand building.
High School: (three opportunities to take the class)
- Intro Visual Arts: Students learn how to create hand built items and work on the wheel.
- Advanced: Students explore leather, mosaic, jewelry, and ceramics.
- AP 3D Studio Arts: Students start to develop their own portfolio and focus on the studio art that they are most interested in.
Mr. Harry Tom - Graphic Arts/MS and HS Yearbook