Rules for School Bus Safety
- Be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early.
- Wait for the bus in a safe place away from the bus. Stand back away from the curb.
- Have the driver help you retrieve items dropped under or near the bus.
- Never chase the bus for any reason.
- Take your seat right away.
- Stay properly seated with your feet in front of you and facing the front at all times.
- Listen to and follow the directions of the bus driver.
- Keep hands, arms, and head inside the bus at all times.
- Keep all of your belongings in your backpack.
- Enter and leave the bus carefully using the handrail.
- Let the driver know if you must cross the street so they can help you.
- Display respectful behavior and use appropriate language at all times.
- Never put anything in your mouth while on the bus. (No eating, drinking or gum.)
- Animals and insects are not allowed on the bus. (Dead or Alive)
- Glass containers, projects, and large objects may not be brought on the bus.
- Use of headphones, radios, “game boys”, or other electronic devices is prohibited.
School Bus Danger Zone
The Danger zone extends 12 feet in every direction from the bus. The highlighted areas are the most dangerous.
Procedures for Escort Crossings
State law requires that all students in the 8th grade and below must be escorted across the roadway using the flashing red lights, however, many schools including Village Christian Schools escort all students regardless of age or grade.
- When directed, the students will follow the driver out of the bus and wait at the front corner of the bus on the curb. The driver will continue into the street with a handheld stop sign.
- When instructed by the driver, the students will walk straight across the street between the driver and the bus. Students should look both ways before passing the edge of the bus.
- Once the students are across the roadway they may not return to the bus.
- Parents needing to cross should cross with their student. State law says students must be escorted even if the parent is there.
- If you drive to your student’s stop, you should park your car on the same side of the street as the bus stop.
- Students crossing at traffic lights will not be escorted.
Walking to and from the bus stop
- Be at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early. Leave for the bus stop early enough so that you do not need to rush to the bus.
- Look both ways before crossing any street. If you are across the street from the bus stop and you see the bus, wait for the bus driver to cross you. Do not run across the street!
- Use Traffic Lights and Crosswalks correctly.
- Have the driver help you to retrieve items dropped under the bus.
- Wait in a safe area away from the bus, and away from the curb or street. Stay out of the danger zone.
We are doing everything we can to assure the safety of your children. You can help us by reviewing these rules with your child, and reminding them to do their part to keep a safe school bus.