The intention of VCServes is to:
- Provide hands on learning and serving experiences. We ask our students to open their eyes, open their hearts, and to open their hands. We ask, "what do you see, what do you feel," and "what can you do about it?" Students often connect abstract faith through hands on relationships and experiences.
- Build relationships among students and between students and faculty and administrators. We seek to be supportive adults who listen more than lecture, building a climate of trust and understanding.
- Invite leadership and team building skills.
- Foster a dynamic learning environment where students engage in service and are provided space to comment and reflect on what they are learning. We are not shy about allowing students to wrestle with the complexity of their faith, the reality of suffering, their identity, and their place in this world.
- Help our students begin to discern the difference between service and justice.
- Continue to advance the Kingdom of God and the values of Village Christian School by serving our neighbors, communities, and ministry partners.
The scriptural foundation for our teaching that surrounds VCServes comes from Matthew 25:31-46. "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matthew 25:40 NIV).